My experience has shown me that our communities are strongest and we are happiest when we are informed, empowered, and in service to each other.
Here on JosephPorcelli.com I share stories and insights about inspiring and empowering citizens and the organizations to work together to increase safety, resilience, and opportunity.
For work, I am the Director of Engagement Services at GovDelivery. In my free time, I voluntarily lead outreach and organizing for Snowcrew.org.
Still hoping to connect with you too! When do you get in town? #hugs #14ntc
Join @rhappe and I for the @TheCr + @GovDelivery
#CmgrBfastChat in #DC on Thurs http://t.co/BN49mTqEWf #socbiz #14ntc
How did @GovDelivery drive 42K people to join http://t.co/SCDBuLRH0x? Ask us at #CmgrBfastChat on Thur http://t.co/BN49mTqEWf #cmgr #14ntc
Calling all #cmgrs in #WDC join @rhappe @Govdelivery and I for #CommintyBfatChat on Thurs http://t.co/BN49mTqEWf #socbiz #14ntc
RT @nsjacob: Hey Innovators! Interested in Changing your Country? Apply to be a Presidential Innovation Fellow http://t.co/1ucfLyLkFm
Man Drives 500 Miles on #Snowcrewsade to Shovel 4 People He’s Never Met
Contact: Joseph Porcelli, Founder and Volunteer Organizer 857-222-4420 – @JosephPorcelli Snowcrew.org Founder Seeks to Inspire People to Shovel Out Neighbors in Need Hamilton NJ: 2/16/2014: Yesterday, Joseph Porcelli of Washington DC, drove 250 miles on a #Snowcrewsade to shovel out neighbors in need who requested shoveling assistance through the website Snowcrew.org. Joseph made two stops yesterday, one [...] [...]
4 weeks ago / No Comments
Snowcrew.org: Neighborly Shoveling Assistance, Connection, and Bonds
Do you need or know anyone who need shoveling assistance? Would like like to help dig out neighbors in need of assistance? If so, then snowcrew.org is for you! What is Snowcrew? Snowcrew.org a mobile optimized web app that connects people who need help shoveling with nearby neighbors “Yetis/Volunteers” who can and want to help dig out their [...] [...]
4 weeks ago / No Comments
I am passionate about and have a demonstrated track record of motivating and empowering citizens and organizations that serve them to collaborate effectively on and off-line resulting in increased safety, preparedness, resilience, quality of life, and opportunity.
At heart, I am a professional neighbor!
My work has been featured by media organizations such as The Boston Globe, Businessweek, Good Magazine, CBS, The Hallmark Channel, and National Public Radio.
I have been a speaker/panelist at gatherings such as the Ford Hall Forum, Enterprise 2.0 Conference, The Knight Foundation Engagement Summit, and IACP Annual Conference.
I specialize in Citizen Engagement, Online Community Building, Community Management, Digital Strategy, Digital Communications, Strategic Partnerships, Team Building, Leadership, Operations, and Management.
Professionally , I lead GovDelivery’s Engagement Services practice that I stood up with Scott Burns the CEO of GovDelivery’s and Steve Ressler the President of GovLoop in 2011. At GovDelivery we help government organizations reach more people and get those people to take action.
In my free time as a volunteer, I lead outreach and organizing for Snowcrew.org a web app that connects people who need help shoveling with nearby neighbors “Yetis/Volunteers” who can and want to help dig out their neighbors after snowstorms.
In 2010, I served at the pleasure of Secretary Janet Napolitano as the first Community Engagement Strategist for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
In 2009, I spent the year evangelized NeighborsforNeighbors.org, a social networking and community engagement model I had been developing for Boston since 2004. This model help develop the hyper-local neighborhood social network space now led by organizations like Nextdoor.com.
In 2008 I directed Online Operations and Partnerships for the ServiceNation legislative campaign that tripled funding for Americorps with the passage of the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act.
From 2006 to 2008 I worked as a Program Coordinator for the Boston Police Department, I created new programmatic organizing models that resulted in double-digit decreases in crime while simultaneously doubling program participation.
From 2002 to 2006 I’ve worked as a Senior Associate for a Marketing Automation consulting firm where I provided consulting and training services, and increased new and referral business four-fold.
From 1999 to 2002 I had my own consulting company (and was a waiter at night). The project I am most proud from this time was reducing the time it took for GreatNorthernBarns.com to market its barns from 3 months to 3 days.
In addition In the past I have served as a:
- Boston World Partnership Connector
- Guide on Creators.Ning.com
- Founding member of Ning Network Creators Council
- Boston OneIn3 Council Mentor
- Founder and organizer of The Nametag Project which in 2007 resulted in 19,000 people wearing a nametag for a day to promote neighborliness.
- Co-founder and organizer of The Mug Project (winner of Mayor Menino’s 2009 Green Residential Waste Reduction Champion Award.
- 2010: Boston University School of Management, Institute for Nonprofit Management and Leadership
- 1998: Saint Michael’s College, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
- 1994: Kimbal Union Academy
- 2010: – Community Service Award, Boston Police Commissioners Edward. M. Davis
- 2009 – Green Residential Waste Reduction Champion Award (MugProject.com), Mayor Thomas M. Menino
- 2007 – Certificate of Appreciation, Boston Police Commissioners Edward. M. Davis
- 2007 – Anchor Award, Friends of the Charlestown MA, Navy Yard
- January 4, 2014, The CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley, Midwest braces for historic cold
- January 4, 2014, Boston Globe, Editorial, ‘Snow Crew’: Shoveling past barriers
- December 19, 2013, NPR, Here and Now, Robin Young, Help They Neighbor Shovel
- December 19, 2013, Boston Globe, Billy Baker, Snow Crew Builds Community Bonds
- December 17, 2013, 90.9 WBUR, By Jack Lepiarz, Website Gives Bostonians A Place To Ask Neighbors For Shoveling Help
- February 11, 2013, WBUR Radio Boston, Meet Boston’s ‘Professional Neighbor’ (About SnowCrew).
- January 21, 2011, Boston.com, By Matt Rocheleau, Shovel-ready: JP neighbors dig out those in need
- January 15, 2011, Spin It Up Local, By Melinda, Community takes on new meaning when people plus technology plus social work together
- January 14, 2010, WGBH, By Jess Bidgood, In JP, Social Networking Helps Neighbors Dig Out
- January 14, 2011, Government Technology, By Steve Ressler, Become a Money-Saving Hero (Opinion)
- January 11, 2011, Neighbors Network News, By Chris Lovett, Volunteers Take on Snow in Jamaica Plain
- 11/25/2010, Boston Globe, By Milton J. Valencia, Community defies sudden violence
- 11/24/2010, UniversalHub.bom, By Adam Gaffin, Pizza Support
- 11/26/2010, The JP Voice, JP Serves Up Community Support for Same Old Place
- 11/10/2010, Spark Minute, By David Spark, Expert tips for community engagement
- 8/12/2010, Bloomberg.com, By Douglas MacMilla, Andreessen’s Social Site Ning Gets Users to Pay for Service
- 3/30/2010, Boston Metro, By Justin Rice, Neighbors help flooded friends
- 3/20/2010, Shoemoney.com, By Jeremy Shoemaker, Social networks as the new social infrastructure for neighborhoods
- 11/29/2009, Urbanophile.com, By Aaron Renn, Midwest Midwest Miscellany
- 11/12/2009, TheGlueProject.com, by Douglas Atkin, Showcase #2, Neighbors for Neighbors
- 10/30/2009, BostonWorldPartnerships.com, City Launches Social Networking Website for Each Boston Neighborhood
- 10/29/2009, Neighborhood Network News with Chris Lovett
- 10/29/2009, Cnewmark.com, by Craig Newmark, Neighbors for Neighbors: neighborhood-centric social networks
- 10/24/2009, UniversalHub.com, by Adam Gaffin, Neighborhood social networking gets city imprimatur
- 10/20/2009, BostonCrimeWatch.com, by Carolyn MacNeil, Neighborhood Watch and Neighbors for Neighbors Unite!
- 10/12/2009, CultureandCommunication.org, by Gabe Mugar, Refining the Social and Techincal Design of NfN
- 10/9/2009, CultureandCommunication.org, by Gabe Mugar, Party Starter
- 10/6/2009, CultureandCommunication.org, by Gabe Mugar, Access is only the beginning
- 9/30/2009, KevinCurry.blogspot.com, by Kevin Curry, Gov 2.0 Doers
- 9/28/2009, NeighborWork America, Seven High-Impact Social Media Trends for Neighborhoods and Local Nonprofits
- 9/28/2009, Blog.ning.com, by Laura, Neighbors for Neighbors: Stepping up to fight crime.
- 9/24-25/2009, About organizing we did in response to rash of robberies: FOX, CBS, and Boston Globe.
- 9/20/2009, O’Reilly.com, Gov 2.0 Expo Showcase 09: Hillary Hartley, “Government as a Partner Panel Discussion”
- 9/20/2009, O’Reilly.com, Gov 2.0 Expo Showcase 09: Joseph Porcelli, “Neighbors for Neighbors – Connecting Neighbors to Each Other and Government”
- 9/10/2009, The New Prosperity Initiative, by Alexis Schroeder, Joseph Porcelli discusses his work with Neighbors for Neighbors, a Boston organization that connects neighbors to one another.
- 5/1/2009, Jamaica Plain Gazette, by By David Taber, JP gets networked
- 9/12/2008, Aha-moments.com, by Bill Sherman, Building Local Social Capital: Interview with Joseph Porcelli.
- 8/12/2008, National Sherriff’s Association, by Janet K. Hawkins, Making the Connection Boston Crime Prevention Volunteers Unite via New Online Social Network
- 6/24/2008, Blog.ning.com, by Mariko, Know your Neighbors
- 4/22/2008, Blog.ning.com, by Mariko, Save a tree, or three, with the Mug Project,
- 4/11/2008, Blog.ning.com, by Gina Bianchini, All Sorts of Awesome Here…
- 4/11/2008, CBS WBZ Channel 4 Boston, by Paul Burton, Jamaica Plain Takes Crime Watch To Cyberspace
- 4/10/2008, Boston Now, by James O’Brien, Crime Watch goes online
- 3/4/2008, ABC Channel 5 Boston, by David Brown, Group reduces waste one mug at a time
- 2/6/2008, Vermont Public Radio, by Patti Daniels, Building community, one nametag at a time
- 1/22/2007, Boston Globe, by Amy Farnsworth, In quest to cut waste, a modest proposal: Bring a mug
- 9/14/2007, NECN, Wired, with Jim Braude
- 7/16/2007, The Boston Globe, Photo by Jim Davis, “Getting to know you”
- 7/16/2007, Boston Metro, Photo by Nicolaus Czarnecki, “Name game: Fenway fans meet their neighbors”
- 7/15-16/2007, During the days following Nametag Day at Fenway Park there were about a dozen major TV and radio spots.
- 7/9/2007, Boston Now, by Galen Moore, Vision of Community
- 5/29/2007, The Hallmark Channel, New Mornings with Timberly Whitfield, Name tag, Joseph Porcelli
- 3/29/2007, Miami Herald, by Nicholas Spangler, His mission is, namely, to make the world neighborly
- 3/23/2007, WIOD 610 AM, South Florida
- 3/23/2007, CBS Channel 12,West Palm Beach, FL
- 1/22/2007, Smile Revolution with Mindy Smile Fradkin, WKNY – 1490 AM Kingston NY
- 1/21/2007, The Wild and Fee Morning Show, CBS Radio Cleveland – WQAO – 104.1, 1/18/2006. Made appearances WRKO Boston 680 AM FM Talk 96.9, and WBZ 1030 AM and a story was featured on Yahoo News.
- 1/17/2006, Fox 25 Boston, “Man Wears Name Tag to Get to Know His Neighbors”
- 1/16/2007, CBS Boston, by Bill Shields, “J.P. Man Wears Nametag, Gets To Know His Neighbors”
- 1/14/2007, Boston Globe, by Patrick McGoarty, ”Hi, I’m Joseph, and for ‘07, I’m trying something different”
- 1/25/2007, Boston Metro, by Tony Lee, “Hello, my name is… One man’s name tag is another man’s social experiment”
Major articles prior to 2007 (Others available by searching Google):
- Boston Metro: “Neighborhood social program expanding”
- Boston Bulletin: “Group looks to unite city by neighborhoods”
- Boston Globe: “For one night activists help themselves”
- Boston Globe: “Keeping sight of the forest among the stumps”
- Stephenson Strategies: “Reviving community involvement”
- Boston Globe: “Mighty Neighborly”
- 9/2013 – #GLtrain, Agency of the Future; Presenter, ”Agency of the Future: Analytics,” Washington DC,
- 9/2013 – #SMSsummit, Social Media Strategies Summit Boston; Presenter, Boston, MA
- 6/2012 – #WP2013, Experience WordPress in Government, Presenter, ”Measuring and Expanding the Value of Community,” Washington, DC
- 6/2013 - #OSSv3, Open Source Summit v3.0: Communities, Presenter, ”How to grow users into active community members and get your community more engaged, Washington, DC
- 6/2012 – #GD2012 – GovDelivery, Public Sector Communication Best Practices; Presenter, Washington, DC
- 6/2012 – #tech4engagement, Knight Foundation Engagement Summit; Participant, Cambridge, MA
- 2/2012 – #SMGOV, Advanced Learning Institute, Social Media for Government Communications Conference; Presenter and Facilitator, Pentagon City, VA
- 10/2012 – #GD2011, GovDelivery, Federal User Conference; Presenter, Washington DC
- 7/2011 – #NG2011, GovLoop.com, Next Generation of Government Conference; Presenter, Washington, DC
- 6/2011 – #NXNEi11, Panelist, Friend or Frienemy of Government Engagement. Toronto, CA
- 4/2011 – #TXEM11, Texas Emergency Management Conference, Social Media; Panelist, San Antonio, TX
- 3/2011 – #NC3C, Presenter, Emerging Technologies, Fayetteville, NC
- 11/2010 – Enterprise 2.0 Conference, 100 Ways to Engage: Confessions of Community Organizers, Panelist, Santa Clara, CA. (blog)
- 11/2010 – GovLoop.com, Boston GovUp, Featured Speaker, Boston, MA.
- 5/2010 – Ford Hall Forum, “The Emerging Firth Estate”Panelist, Boston MA.
- 3/2010 – O’Reilly Gov 2.0 Camp New England, Co-Facilitator, Citizen Engagement, Cambridge MA (video)
- 2/2010 – JumpStart, Civic Engagement Institute, Presenter, Boston MA (video)
- 12/2009 – Ning.com, VIP Network Creator Summit, Invite Only Attendee, Palo Alto CA
- 12/2009 – The Corporation for National and Community Service’s Blue Print for Change, Facilitator, Innovation in Civic Engagement, Philadelphia PA
- 11/2009 – IBM Innovation Discovery Session, Invite Only Attendee, Cambridge MA
- 11/2009 – Boston Care, Civic Leadership Institute, Presenter, Boston MA
- 10/2009 – MIT Media Lab Discussion, Presenter, Cambridge MA
- 9/2009 – O’Reilly Ignite Boston, Get your neighbor on, Presenter, Boston Ma (video)
- 9/2009 – O’Reilly Gov 2.0 Expo, Panelist Government as a Partner, Washington DC (video)
- 9/2009 – CEO’s For Cities Velocity Saloon, Invite Only Attendee, Grand Rapids MI (video)
- 4/2009 – Pecha Kucha Boston #09, Co-Presenter, Jamaica Plain, Boston MA
- 8/2009 – New Prosperity Initiative, Panelist, Building Communities Online and Offline, Boston, MA (video)
- 2008 – Boston Civic Summit, Boston MA, Social Capital, Diverse Neighborhoods & Networks track panelists.
- 2008 – ICAP Law Enforcement Technology Conference, Panelist, Citizen Observer
- 2007 – Governor’s MA Civic Engagement Summit, Panelist, Social Capital, Diverse Neighborhoods & Networks track, Worcester, MA
- 2006 – Governors MA Smart Growth Conference, Fall 2006, Panelist, Vibrant Communities and Regional Equity track, Worcester, MA