My #Snowcrew plan for the Winter 2015 season is pretty simple: 1) I am going continue to promote Snowcrew and 2) I am going to encourage people to use Nextdoor.com, the free and private social network for neighborhood (where I know work) to let their neighbors know they need help or are willing to help shovel.
The awesome folks at SeeClickFix who built and run Snowcrew.org, have made even more enhancements for this season. Thank you. Ben, Daniel and Caroline!
For those of you new to SnowCrew, here is what you need to know!
What is Snowcrew?
Snowcrew.org is a mobile optimized web app that connects people who need help shoveling with nearby neighbors “Yetis/Volunteers” who can and want to help dig out their neighbors after snowstorms.
Where does it work? Everywhere!
How does it work?
Each time it snows, thos who needs help shoveling log into www.snowcrew.org and request “Shoveling Assistance.” Those who have signed up to help get notified that a neighbor (s) needs help. They can also “scout” to see who needs help via Snowcrew.org on their mobile phone or device of choice.
“Yeti’s” shovel out people who are not physically able to shovel or cannot afford to hire someone to dig them out.
How can you get involved?
- Go to snowcrew.org and create a profile to volunteer or request shoveling assistance
- Help us spread the word by RTing our tweets and sharing our facebook updates.
- Share this post to your networks
- Shovel out cars parked in and empty handicap parking spots
- Check in our neighbors who are elderly and have disabilities
What difference to Snowcrew Make?
For the elderly and people with disabilities, snowstorms can mean being trapped at home unable to get to work, to the food store, to the pharmacy, or have the mail delivered. It can mean that for days, you’re stuck alone in your home fearful of what might happen and that the stability of your health and life might be compromised.
- Snowcrew helps keep people healthy and financially sound – When shoveled out, people can get to work, the pharmacy, the food store, and to medical appointments. Social security checks, medications, and medical equipment are delivered.
- Snowcrew increases resilience – When communities are connected and in service to each other they are stronger and better poised to prevent, respond to, and overcome challenges and disasters.
- Snowcrew eases the burden on government – Citizens who have time and wish to pitch in dig out public property such as fire hydrants, handicap ramps and curb cuts, and bus stops that increase accessibility and improve quality of life.
- Snowcrew fosters connection – Those who request and give shoveling assistance enjoy new connections, friendships, and experiences.
Who do people who have been helped by snowcrew say?
- “I’m blown away; I have never received help like this from strangers before, and I’m honored to now call them my neighbors. So my deepest and heartfelt thanks goes out to all of you”. Nancy, Hardyston NJ who was trapped in her home for 4 days following a storm in February 2014.
- “Just wanted to thank you and Bob for helping me as a neighbor to clear my car so I could make it to my doctor’s appt. It made an important difference”. Marcia, Jamaica Plain, MA Feburary 2014
- “Someone came to help! thank you!” Michelle, Lincroft NJ February 2014
How did Snowcrew Get Started?
Snowcrew got started in 2009 when I realized one my widowed elderly neighbors might be stuck in her home during huge storm we had. The first version of Snowcrew used a Google map and a Google form. After I learned about former Mayor Cory Booker digging out his constituents after receiving a constituent tweet, I wanted to see if I could build on former Mayor Booker’s success by using technology to allow neighbors to engage each other online to get shoveled out simultaneously and in multiple cities and towns at the same time. Today, Snowcrew.org accomplishes this goal!
What technology powers Snowcrew?
SeeClickFix built and operates Snowcrew.org and via it’s API powers the “shovel request” submittal, “scout” mapping, watch area notifications, commenting and case management system.
About Joseph Porcelli:
I am a Professional Neighbors. By day, I am a Senior City Strategist at Nextdoor.com where I help local government organization leverage the power of Technology and neighbors to create, safer, stronger, and more resilient neighborhoods and cities.
Nextdoor, being used by over 49,000 neighborhoods around the US, is the free and private social network for the neighborhood. Neighbors use Nextdoor every day to make their lives better in the real work. Nextdoor’s mission is to recreate the sense of community among neighbors and build safer and stronger neighborhoods. For more information about Nextdoor or to sign up, go to Nextdoor.com.
Get in touch:
Email me at my first dot last name at gmail.com
Call me at (857) 222-4420
You can also tweet at me @JosephPorcelli